Website Owner: Login to your website
to remove this message.


alisonis50.com

 

 

 

 

 

"The older your generation gets,

the wilder the younger generation becomes."

-Anonymous

 

 

ALISON'S FAMILY TREE IS FULL OF RARE AND BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS

(along with some fruits and nuts!)

 

 

  

 Alison's maternal grandfather,

Nathaniel William Goodhue,

was one of twelve children. 

Their mother, Josephine, died while giving birth

to the twelfth child. 

Here are eleven of the Goodhue kids

with their mom in 1915.

All of the Goodhue kids were farmed out but stayed close throughout their lives. Above is a picture of some of them at the top of Mount Major (something Alison's family still loves to do together).

 

Nat and Elizabeth "Buffie" Goodhue, our Gram and Gramp

(they eloped!)

 

Gram and Gramp smoking their pipes

 

 

Gramp Goodhue built and raced gorgeous wooden boats on Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire.  The Goodhue and Hawkins Navy Yard is depicted in this Peter Ferber painting above and still exists in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. 

In the foreground is a Goodhue Laker.

 

 

Here is Keen Kutter, a gorgeous Goodhue Laker still in operation on Lake Winnepesaukee today.

 

 

 

And another one of the Goodhue Lakers, built in the 1930s,

and still going strong.

 

 

 

 

 Gramp owned and operated the steamboat Swallow, a beautiful and memorable boat that ran around the lake. 

 

Here is the Swallow moored at Goodhue and Hawkins

 

 

 

The Swallow Boathouse and some Goodhue Lakers are depicted in the Peter Ferber print above.

 

Here is the beautiful Swallow Boathouse today. 

Alas, the Swallow herself is no more.

 

This is "The Sawyer House" in Wolfeboro that

Gram and Gramp bought around 1968. 

It was always a little bit spooky to us kids. 

Like, really spooky.

 

A beautiful portrait of our beloved Gram Goodhue

 

 

 Esmond Richardson Crowley, Sr.  was Gram's father, and Alison's great-grandfather. He went to Dartmouth College. He also had two brothers: Benjamin, the law partner of Franklin Roosevelt, and Daniel Napoleon, aka Uncle Dimpy.

 
 
 
 
Esmond had a sister named Gladys, aka Aunt Gladie. She went to Smith College. She married  Dr. Fergus Butler and they had one son, Tony Butler.  Uncle Fergie’s sister, Lurana (Aunt Lury) married Aunt Gladie’s brother, Daniel Napoleon (Uncle Dimpy).
 

 

Esmond's wife, (Gram Goodhue's mother /Alison's maternal great-grandmother) Edna VanClowes Crowley, was born and raised in Butte, Montana.  She was a gifted musician and actress, entering Emerson College in Boston MA at age 12

 

Edna performed in many Harvard Hasty
Pudding Club shows. Later she gave private lessons along the North Shore of Boston and was the producer of many plays in the North Shore Theaters.  Here she is in her boat, Psyche, on Lake Winnipesaukee

 

The people in this shot are Alison's Great Grandfather, Esmond R. Crowley, along with his wife, Edna, his father and mother, Timothy Crowley and Katherine Richardson Crowley, and his son, Esmond R. Crowley, Jr (aka Uncle Buddy).   Timothy was a lawyer in Salem, Massachusetts. He came to America as an indentured worker from Ireland.  The picture of their boat, Psyche, was taken at the Town Docks in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire

 

 

 

Mom and her Goodhue cousins - 2001

 

Holly with Pete at Paul's graduation party

Denton, Maryland - May 2009

 

Goodhue Family Reunion - 2003

Kona Farm, New Hampshire

 

Goodhue Cousin Chuck Hunewell

 

 One of our favorites, Prisca Chen Marvin

with Alison's brother Don

 

Holly with cousin Chris Crowley, who also happens to be

the best selling author of (appropriately) the books,

"Younger Next Year"

and "Younger Next Year for Women"

(although Erin and cousin Ann "Pete" Marvin are working on a new sequel entitled "Fatter Next Year -- with pictures to prove it!)

 

Our great cousin, John Goodhue (with Holly in 2003)

 

 

Alison's great, great uncle Timothy Clowes was one of the first graduates of the University of Michigan Law School and then practiced law in Nome, Alaska.

 

Alison's cousin, actor Mark Slade,

was Blue Boy on the television show, High Chaparral.

Al and Er had a big crush on him when they were little.

 

  

 John and Eva Porter Estate,

What's left of it, anyway...

East Jordan, Michigan

 

Alison's paternal great-great grandfather, John Porter, came to Michigan as a missionary to the Indians and settled in Leelenau County. 

 

His son, William Pitt Porter (Alison's paternal great grandfather) grew up among Indian playmates and then as a young man traveled around Grand Traverse Bay and settled in East Jordan.  

 

In 1882, W.P. Porter established the East Jordan Lumber Company with $600 he managed to save.  Somewhere he found time to import his wife, Harriet Jamison from Pittsburgh.  The lumber operation began manufacturing cedar shingles in 1890. By 1912 it operated two sawmills and a maple flooring plant.
 
 
They also supplied wood to the Steinway & Sons Piano Company.  It made lumbering the leading industry in East Jordan until the last of the company's mills closed in 1928. 
 Recognizing the need for an alternative source of employment as the lumbering era came to an end, W.P. purchased a farm and planted several thousand cherry trees.  The Porters formed the East Jordan Canning Company, which ran until the 70s.  During World War II, Alison's father John and Aunts Annie and Marty were often sent to the can cellar in the basement, stocked with Jordan Beans, to fetch a can of whatever to eat for supper.
 

 

Alison's other paternal Great Grandfather James Leenhouts aka Papa was one of eleven children who grew up in Holland, Michigan.  (Only one of his siblings, Abraham, got to go to college.  Abraham became a doctor and removed Grammy Porter's tonsils on her dining room table). 
Gypsum Outcrop where Plaster Creek flows into the Grand River - Grand Rapids, Michigan
 
Papa made his way to Grand Rapids at the age of 16 and got a job sweeping out a drugstore.  Eventually he went on to become head of Grand Rapids Gypsum.  The very first telephone in the city of Grand Rapids was installed there, and the first phone call in the city of Grand Rapids was made from there in 1881.